January 22, 2011

Opera: myths and misconceptions

What is it about attending the opera that makes some people so antsy? Not knowing what to wear, knowing whether to pack a snack or not, having to take out a second mortgage to cover the cost of tickets, or simply fearing they might snore all the way through the entire show? Maybe it's a mix of all these stressful variables.

Some may argue that opera can be a little more complicated and involved than simply going to the movies or watching the game with your buddies. But, is it? All the same, opera is fantastic world of murder, mystery, redemption, love, and romance. And above all, it is usually pretty entertaining and comedic!

Well thanks to Today's Chicago Woman magazine and authors Magda Krance and Emily Lange, we are able to understand the trepidations some people have about going to the opera. Luckily these two authors completely dispel the collective myths and explain the reality of each in their article, "Opera for Beginners". But don't be fooled by the title, both the operatic novice and the seasoned pro can benefit from this handy article. They tackle the six most popular griefs and attitudes people have when it comes to hearing the fat lady sing:

1. I won't understand what they're singing.
2. I don't have opera gloves, a gown, or a tuxedo.
3. Tickets are too expensive.
4. Operas are soooooo long!
5. Opera is boring and irrelevant.
6. I don't know enough about classical music to 'get' opera.

What have you experienced? Reading this list, I can say that I have had my fair share of explaining to do with friends less versed in this outrageous vocal art. Even after some gentle coaxing and explaining, there is still a margin for error. Nonetheless, one must try.

5 comments:

  1. I once took a friend to see one of my favorite operas. I hyped it up, gave him a total presentation and musical lecture a few days before and 30 minutes into the opera I looked over and he was dead asleep. I didn't have the heart to wake him. He slept all the way through the second intermission and woke up about 10 minutes before the end. He'd never been to the opera but I casually pretended like I didn't know he was sleeping. I asked what his favorite part was, he said, "when the lady starting singing." Haa haa, I cut him some slack but made him buy dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something similar happened here to me with a friend that I took to Lyric. He feel asleep, but I had to wake him....he was snoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to the opera in a really long time, but I remember that I really liked it. The main lady fell three times on stage. I was in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like a million dollars when I dressed up and sipped champagne the night I went to the opera. Got a little tipsy but it was all in good fun with my date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I went to the opera, I thought that I would have to wear a tux and would pay lots for crappy seats. That wasn't true at all. I wore jeans and paid about $55.00 for a pair of decent tickets.

    ReplyDelete